Protect Sri Lanka is a people movement against the crimes and destruction of Sri Lanka’s precious natural heritage. We are a coalition of citizens who are deeply concerned with the indiscriminate destruction of our precious natural heritage and want to protect our beautiful Sri Lanka before it is too late. Please join us. Together we can bring much-needed change and your support will contribute towards making Sri Lanka rich, healthy, proud, self-sustainable, and protected.
- Sustainable development that is environmentally sound and socially inclusive.
- Protecting the welfare and future of our people, fauna, flora, air, water, oceans, rivers, lands, and all the other coastal, marine and terrestrial ecosystems.
- We Believe in One country for ALL of Sri Lanka. Not one country to be divided and destroyed for the benefit of some. A country where the rule of law is followed equally for ALL and the essence of who we are is valued.
Sri Lanka’s Assets
- Sri Lanka One of the world’s 35 Biodiversity Hotspots.
- Sri Lanka is ranked 15 in the world for species per kilometre for Amphibians, Mammals, Birds, Flowering Plants and Reptiles
- Sri Lankan waters have 26 of the 86 Cetacean species counted worldwide including 13 species of Whales and 15 species of Dolphins
- Sri Lanka has one of the highest rates of biological endemism (16% of the fauna and 23% of flowering plants are endemic) in the world
- Two monsoon seasons which allow for agriculture during an extended period of the year
- With species diversity, a high rate of endemic species and large Mammals, Sri Lanka is one of the best places to see wildlife in Asia
- The largest Asian elephant gathering in the world at Minneriya National Park each year The ‘Gathering’ of wild Elephants in the Minneriya National Park has been billed by the Lonely Planet as the World’s 6th greatest animal spectacle
- Yala National Park has one of the highest leopard densities in the world
- Sri Lanka is one of the world’s top spots for Blue Whale and Sperm Whale encounters
- Sri Lanka has an incredible 33 species of endemic birds.
- Our Forest Reserves including protected forests, national parks, nature reserves, jungle corridors and sanctuaries
- Our precious water sources including our lakes, waterfalls, rivers, oceans and beaches
- Federation of Environmental Organisations (FEO)
- Environment Foundation Limited (EFL)
- Otara Foundation
- Rainforest Protectors of Sri Lanka
- Wildlife and Nature Protection Society (WNPS)
- Reforest Sri Lanka
- Protect Wilpattu
- Environment Conservation Trust
- Green Liberals
- Species Conservation Trust
- Wildlife Conservation Forum